Wednesday, April 18, 2007

a shout out to my homies in Riga



i am nothing if not a voyeur. i think modest mouse wrote a song about me. because as a rule i am watching you watch me watch you right now... no, i am not a stalker, but i do pay close attention to the people who are looking at my blog on a regular basis. typically i see what i would expect to find: a lot of people viewing from seattle or other places where i have relations in the US. what amazes me are the number of people viewing from around the globe. it makes me curious to know what my global counterparts think of this ranty american bird. anyway, i decided to highlight an area where people are viewing in high numbers. this is an area that rarely creeps into my american consciousness and i thought maybe it should. and while i'm at it, i might as well bring you along. ...
So join me for "Latvia, This is Your Life."
Riga is the largest city in the Baltic States and the capital of Latvia. It is a one night train ride from Moscow or St. Petersburg. Latvia is a member of EU and you do not need a visa.

Riga is a beautiful European city with over than 800 years of history. It is an old town with narrow streets which offer you the spirit of the Middle Ages. There are many historical monuments and numerous cafes and restaurants where you can find both Latvian and European food. Riga has a great colorful farmer's market, beautiful parks, and good shopping. If you are lucky, you may attend an organ concert in Dome Cathedral and listen to one of the best organs in Europe.
Natural resources include peat, limestone, dolomite, hydro power, wood, and arable land.
Here's a link for more statisticsThe World Factbook
Tourism appears to be gaining steam in this area. My suggestion is pick up a translation book, commission a guide and go.
and remember: TODAY IS THE DAY WE CELEBRATE LATVIA!!!!