Wednesday, June 27, 2007

anti-Blondie dissertation


Don't get me wrong. I love Debbie Harry and Blondie as much as the next person. But I have to draw the line at that awful, awful song some of you might know as "Rapture." I don't think I need to go into much detail about why I hate this particular song. I am quite sure that most people, minus the karaoke crowd of America, can agree that this song just plain stinks. However, it is believed by many that this is the first "rap" song to hit the charts. I will agree that it is the first song to incorporate elements of disco and hip hop. I will gladly give them credit for that. Why anyone in their right mind would want to is beyond me. But this twiggy, two-toned blond, Miami turned Jersey girl was not the first to rap and hit the charts. No, no. Instead these guys are of the pioneers with the corner market on that claim to fame.
With their hit single "Rapper's Delight." This song was one of the 1st hip hop songs to hit the charts and the first hip hop song to ever go gold. So, as far as I am concerned, Blondie can suck it in this regard. Still keep in mind that I am otherwise a Blondie fanatic. However, it upsets me to no end when white folk are able to co opt what communities of color have been doing for ages, make it popular, turn a pretty profit, and get street cred for it. Kinda like this guy...

Elvis wasn't the father of rock n' roll! He simply brought "colored" music into the spotlight of mainstream America. But I will save my Elvis rant for another time and place.

For now, be well, do good work, and keep in touch.